Elizabeth "Ellie" Xiao Fang

Elizabeth "Ellie" Xiao Fang

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day 5: Adoption Registration, and Anyang visit

Yes, it's actually day 6 here, Wednesday. And I fully intended to write and post this last night. But while cuddling with my girl, until she feel asleep, I must have fallen to sleep with her. Next thing I knew she was waking up in the middle of the night for a quick bottle and more cuddles. Then we were both back to sleep. It is so sweet awaking up next to my precious Ellie!.

So let me share with you about our important day yesterday.

It started with me waking up to this sweet face...

Then we got dressed, and Ellie was introduced to her big brothers and sisters for the first time over the computer. She loved meeting each of them. And they were beyond happy to finally see her, and hear her voice.

After breakfast we headed with our group back to the civil affairs office to complete our adoption registration. Ellie was so excited about getting on the bus again!

There, we received our adoption certificates, and officially became their parents. This was such a special moment. And I really missed Steven. I miss that he is not able to be here, and share in each of this great moments.

 
I think Ellie was just as excited about this moment as I was!!!
 

 

 

After we left the civil affairs office we headed over to the notary, to complete more paperwork.

Ellie was still being her happy self. She is such a god baby, such a joy!

 

All of the families went back to our hotel. Then after lunch Ellie and I had to go with one of guides to Anyang, Ellie's provincial city. It was a 2 1/2 hour ride to Anyang. But I enjoyed holding my girl while she slept peacefully.

While we drove my amazing guide, Rita shared with me some interesting things about Anyang. She said it is known for being the place of the first Chinese characters. In fact their is a museum there that many Chinese people visit to study the ancient characters. At one point in history, Anyang was the capital of one of the dynasties. Rita did tell me which one, but forgive me for not remembering! The entire providence of Henan is known for their agriculture. Driving there reminded me a lot of driving on the interstate in America....with farms, and fields of wheat and corn. We also passed the Yellow river!

When we arrived at the government building where we needed to apply for Ellie's passport, the orphanage officer met us there. She is the same lady who brought Ellie to me the day before. I think she looks like a very kind lady, who knows what she is doing. But as soon as my little girl laid her eyes on her, she started crying, and holding me tighter. Of course the officer wanted to hold her, but Ellie and I just held onto to each other.

Since Ellie had spent the majority of her little life at New Hope, and not the Anyang orphanage, I wasn't planning on visiting. However I really hoped that since we had to visit Anyang, we could go visit her finding place. Unfortunately since it was a road in the country, we could not visit it. Once we were there, they did offer for me to visit the orphanage. So we did. And it was so very hard to be there. But Im glad we did.

 

Outside the gate of the children's home. It is one the third floor.
 

 
With the orphanage director.
With the orphanage director.
From the moment we walked through the gate, Ellie was not happy. She held onto to me very tightly. And would whimper every now and then. I kept kissing her, and trying to reassure her. The guide told her in Mandarin, that we were just coming to say goodbye, that she was leaving with mama. We visited three rooms full of little ones. And my heart broke. I have pictures to post of little ones, but I will do it with another post. I was told that the majority of kids from this orphanage, about 80%, were in foster homes. But the ones I did see there, captured my heart. I think the women I met there tried as best as they could to take care of these children given the conditions they have to work with. BUT..... It was still so hard to witness. We visited the room that Ellie had been in for the last two weeks, since leaving New Hope. There were six children, five boys and a girl, each with an obvious special need. Ellie held me tighter when we walked into this room. Then she saw the nanny who cares for the children in this room. At first Ellie reached for her. Everyone was excited, so I let her go.

But as soon as she left my arms, she reached back for me. Up to this point I have not heard my baby girl cry loudly. All she has done since she was placed in my arms was to whimper a little. But this time it was different. It was a sob, a wail, almost. I felt as if she was crying to leave, to not be abandoned again. I wanted to hold her so close, and help her understand she will never be alone again.....never to be left in this cold bed again....

Her crib at Anyang SWI
After visiting the orphanage , I was even more grateful for the amazing staff at New Hope. Walking out I prayed silent prayers of thanksgiving for the graces our Lord has provided for Ellie. And I asked special blessings upon each child left here, waiting for their families to find them.

For those of you that know me well, know how close I am to St Therese. She always sends me roses to remind me that she is praying for me, and that our Lord IS answering those prayers. I have always asked St Therese, and St Elizabeth to pray for my girl while she was away from New Hope till she was in my arms. Walking out of the room Ellie lived in for the last two weeks...I saw this in the courtyard....

Those are roses!!!
The only time my sweet Ellie's dimpled filled smile returned was when we waved goodbye to the orphanage worker.


Yes, today was hard, but significant. Legally Ellie became our daughter. And with our orphanage visit she got to see it....she IS our daughter forever....no longer an orphan!!!!

 

2 comments:

  1. So here I sit about in tears after reading your sweet post. First of all, Ellie is sooo precious (love her in that headband too!). What an answer to prayer to see her so content and at peace in your arms. I love that she wants her mama. While it was a hard day, and I did not like thinking about your little girl in that cold bed, I am glad you visited the orphanage. It is still a piece of Ellie's story. Congratulations on officially becoming Ellie's mama!!! I can imagine how much you miss your husband, and am so proud of you for doing something hard (traveling alone, leaving your other children at home, adopting Ellie, etc.) knowing it is all worth it in eternity. Hugs, friend!! And again, I LOVE seeing you and Ellie together. I can see such a special bond and it warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting the pictures of AnYang SWI. Our daughter is from there too but we were never able to visit. Your Ellie is precious! Enjoy the journey home!

    ReplyDelete