Elizabeth "Ellie" Xiao Fang

Elizabeth "Ellie" Xiao Fang

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday and lots of other contradictions

This week is a week of contradictions in our church history and cultural history.  I grew up in New Orleans and this week every year is amazing.  Mardi Gras is a wonderful time of fun, parties, and lots of yummy food.  There is a reason it is called "Fat Tuesday"!!  Unfortunately the excitement involved in Mardi Gras sometimes takes over the entire reason it started in the first place.  The day following Mardi Gras is Ash Wednesday.  This is the first day of the 40 day preparation, called Lent, that our Catholic church practices leading up to the Easter celebration.  As you can see, for a Catholic girl growing up in New Orleans this week brings lots of contradictions.  First we party and feast for days, sometimes weeks, leading up to Mardi Gras.  Then we begin our fasting and prayerful reflections during our Lenten journey.
       There are also many contradictions with this adoption journey!  There is the classic, "hurry up and wait".  The excitement of a step completed only to be followed by the realization that you have 50 more steps to take!  Then there is the struggle and the heartache of waiting, only to be dissolved with the joy of holding your baby for the first time in your arms!  So many contradictions!!   I am learning that God teaches us so much in the midst of contradictions.  We must have hunger to be feed, must have sadness to feel joy, must have less to have more.  We need to experience the darkness in order to see the light.
    Yesterday we received some amazing news-- we have been approved by Immigration (a.k.a. our 1-800a has been approved).  So now we are waiting to receive it in the mail.  Then it is off to sealing it along with our homestudy report.  Finally they are sent to our agency and in turn they will send our entire "dossier" to Ch*na! One more step closer to our sweet baby girl!!!
    As I rejoiced in our news, my heart was saddened for another family.  An adoption "contradiction"--  another family is in the midst of adopting a precious boy from Eastern Europe.  They found out this week that the region where their son is from, has suspended all American adoptions!!!  They have known this sweet boy for months and have loved him in there hearts while completing each step towards his adoption.  I cannot imagine the pain they must feel and the frustration with the adoption "officials"- where ever they are!  The joy and excitement I felt about our good news was heavily burdened with the hurt my heart felt for this family.  Please join me in prayer that this decision will be changed soon and they will be allowed to continue their adoption of this sweet boy.

          "For I know the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not woe! plans to give you a future full of HOPE. When you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you.  When you look for me, you will find me.  Yes, when you seek me with all your heart, you will find me with you, says the Lord, and I will change your lot;"  Jeremiah 29:11-14a


       Yesterday we received ashes on our foreheads to remind us that we came from dust and to dust we shall return.  That this life is temporary and the one we are desined for is gloirous!  I pray that this Lent I will draw ever more closer to my sweet Lord, that I will walk even more closely with Him.  I pray that for all that are exeprinecing the contradictions of life will hear God's voice and feel His love abound.



 -- Thank you, Jesus, for Your light in the midst of the darkness of this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment