Elizabeth "Ellie" Xiao Fang

Elizabeth "Ellie" Xiao Fang

Friday, April 6, 2012

As I have done for you, you should also do

Last night was Holy Thursday.  The day we remember Jesus' last supper with His apostles.  Before He shared this meal with His friends, He got down on His knees and washed their feet.  The Master washed His servants' feet.  This time in our Church, the celebration of Holy week, has always been important to me.   Our lives were changed forever because of our beautiful Savior, and what He did during this time in history.
     
Usually during Holy Thursday Mass twelve people from the congregation are chosen to represent the twelve apostles.  Then the priest gets down on his knees and washes everyone's feet.  Well the church we have attended here is St. Rose of Lima.  They have an amazing tradition.  Instead of just the twelve "chosen" people having their feet washed...everyone in the church gets their feet washed, and everyone washes someone else's feet!  Each member of the church gets to serve and be served!  What an amazing moment to experience... elder members where on their knees washing teenager's feet, husbands were having their feet washed by their wives, different ages, different races were all washing each other's feet.  Strangers were humbling themselves before each other to "do as Jesus has done".  It was so moving to watch, but I wasn't prepared for what I was about to experience.

     To take a step back.... it was a rough day all day yesterday.  I woke up sad, and missing Ellie so much.  The kids were all very tired and cranky.  It was the 7th day in their Spring break, and they were at each other all day!  It was one of those days...you know, the kind that they spend most of their day fighting and being corrected.  And I was tired....tired of correcting, tired of waiting for Ellie, tired of doing everything by myself (while Steve is busy with school), tired of missing my family, tired of the stress of our upcoming move, tired of cooking, of cleaning, of packing, of filling out MORE paperwork for our homestudy update...I was tired of serving!!!  I think I even prayed --- "Lord,  I'm tired.... I need YOU to take care of me, because I cannot do it today!!!"

      Now....let's go back to last night.......the children were so very excited about taking off their shoes in church!  The five of us got into line to go to the alter, and I watched the beauty of the service unfold around me.  The love I witnessed from all those there was breathtaking.  People washed each other's feet with so much love...then most of them embraced........amazing!!  It was our turn.  And of course all four children did not want to go by themselves...so all FIVE of us went to the alter together, each of us trying not to trip on the other.  There was a sweet young lady waiting with a pitcher of warm water and a smile on her face.  Thomas plopped himself right down on the steps and stuck his rather dirty foot (sorry!) out straight at her!  He giggled the entire time his foot was washed by our fellow parishener.  After she dried his foot, he got right up and grabbed the pitcher, eager for his turn.  He pointed at Clare.  So she sat down and very timidly, but with a smile on her face offered her foot.  It was so sweet to watch Thomas wash his big sister's foot.  Then Clare was up for her turn to wash.  She said she wanted to wash Anna's feet, but Jon was already in place.  She quickly got over her frustration, and washed her brother's feet.  This same brother who annoys her, calls her names, and who she fought with ALL day long!  It moved me to tears to watch my children serve each other.  Then Jon walked to the other side of the bowl and picked up the pitcher with his adorable smile.  He very gently washed Anna's feet. It was so very sweet. Now, before we were in line, Anna had already asked if she could wash my feet, and then of course that turned into an argument with Jon.  They both wanted to wash my feet.  When it was my turn, I sat down on the alter steps.  I looked up to see all four of my beautiful children, with pitchers and towels in hand, eager to wash my feet, eager to serve me, eager to do what Jesus had instructed them to do... I was humbled. God answered my prayer that I prayed earlier in the day, the prayer I had spoken out of complete exhaustion...and He gave us this moment together.  I felt my Jesus' love for me at this very moment, through the love of my children!  I complained and whined all day about serving these four beautiful gifts....and here they are serving me with so much love and joy.... I hope I will never forget that moment!  I prayed the rest of the Mass that God would change my heart even more...give me a servant's heart...teach me to follow Jesus' example, and do as He has taught us.  John 13:15

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing that sweet post. It brought tears to my eyes while making me smile.

    ReplyDelete